Wednesday, April 10, 2013

It's time for the great American pastime!


For those that are into it, April brings the official start to baseball season and I for one couldn't be happier about it! Personally I've never been to a major league game, but the husband and I always make time for our local minor league team, The Chattanooga Lookouts! We bought our ticket to the season opener almost two weeks in advance, only for the game to be canceled due to weather. For the record, it wasn't even raining an hour prior to game time. The plus side is that we were able to attend Sunday's double-header to make up for the game we missed! We had a lot of fun. We all got a bit sun burnt and I have some weird tan lines going on at the moment but it was well worth it since the Lookouts did such a great job during the first game. They lost steam in the second one and it was very uneventful (they also lost) but that first game was a killer!



In the event that you have never been to a Lookouts game, there are a few tips I can give you if you're ready to try something new:
1.) Arrive about 20 mins before the game is set to start (earlier if you're going to a Friday game as those are usually packed). This gives you time to grab a snack or two and get comfortable in your seat. Plus you'll get to see the starting line up!
2.) If you need to bring a bag (or purse) make sure that you pack lightly and be prepared to stop and have your bag checked. They don't want people bringing in weapons or snacks. Personally I bring a camera bag and it only takes security a second to look in and see that I'm bringing in... a camera.
My pretty yellow rose

3.) Make sure that you grab a schedule. They do so many promotions during the summer. Last year I went with a friend and her daughter to Lady's Night which was fun. I got a yellow rose. For that matter, make sure that you pick up a program by the gate when you first come in. It's always the same sweet lady selling them...and it's only 25 cents!
4.) Every Friday that the Lookouts play a home game, win or lose...there are fireworks after the game and it is awesome!
5.) The best place to buy beer (if you want a drink at the game) is to hit the Big River Beer Garden or the Budweiser Beer Time Club. Both have lovely staff and are cheaper than what you get by the concessions. (At least it was true last year...after I go to a game this year I'll give an update!)


Koda's birthday gift. A glass and a foam hat!

6.) The players will sign your foul balls and foam fingers before and after the game. Just remember to bring a sharpie. (They also sell them in the gift shop)
7.) Speaking of, make sure you are on the lookout for foul balls. My mother in law almost got hit with one. As well as my friend's uncle who was busy texting and it went right over his head. I had one whiz past me last year. My husband caught that one!

So I want to know, are you attending any baseball games this season? If baseball isn't your thing...I'd like you to tell me what you're most excited for this spring. I'm always trying to think of new and fun things to do. Have a great week dear readers and try to stay dry!

No comments: